Do you want your school to be more parent friendly?
We are excited to launch our ‘Blueprint for parent-friendly schools’. This model has been developed to explore the different features of a parent-friendly school.
We want to gather feedback from parents, schools and education experts so we can make sure we are developing a framework that really works. We want to make parent-friendly schools a reality right across England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Our consultation is now open – please take part!
Parentkind wants all schools to harness the power of parents so they can supercharge the education of every child. Many parents and educators want this too.
So, we have scoured all the available evidence and best practice to put together this blueprint to help our schools be as parent-friendly as possible.
Our aim is to support schools to develop the culture and practices where parents of all kinds can be considered partners and play an active role in their child’s school life.
And now we want you to tell us what you think and how this could be rolled out in practice! Please take a look and share your feedback/suggestions via email@example.com or by completing this form by 31st August 2019.
- What’s your first impression?
- What do you like about it?
- What changes would you suggest to make it easier to apply in practice?
- Is there anything missing?
- Do you have examples of great practice or research in parent participation?
- What are the barriers to making parent-friendly schools a reality? How can we overcome them?
- How can success be measured for the five parts of this model and as a whole?
- Once implemented, to what extent will our children’s education be better and our schools more effective?
Why is a blueprint needed?
Although the principle of engaging and involving parents in education is widely accepted, the discourse and available research tends to be piecemeal and fragmented.
Ensuring all mums and dads take an active role is not easy. Indeed, there are a number of existing and growing barriers to parents and schools working well together.
Parentkind feels it would therefore be helpful to develop a fully rounded model that schools can use that reflects these challenges.
The blueprint is only the start. Once we have completed this consultation, we will be looking to test this model in school settings and create evidence-led training, resources and tools for educators and school leaders so that parent-friendly schools become a reality right across the UK.