Does a Parent Council need a governing document?
There's no legal requirement for Parent Councils to have a governing document, but it's certainly good practice.A constitution or terms of reference formalises how the group will work, clarifies the role of the group and ensures transparency. Read our info sheet Agreeing terms of reference.
What's the best way to reach all parents?
Some parents can be difficult to reach, but the most effect Parent Councils represent the whole school community, so make sure your plans and approach embrace all types of parents. Our top tips for doing this include:
- Target parents at transition
- Use a variety of communication tactics
- Ensure staff are outside school at the beginning and end of the school day to talk about/ answer questions about the Parent Council
- Organise cultural events and celebrations in connection with different faiths and cultures
- Arrange home visits
- Target fathers, mothers and grand parents
- Translate newsletters/website
- Provide parenting support and support family learning
More about consulting with parents and recruiting members.